Easy Homemade Beef Pasta Sauce
- 1 pound Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 can (15 ounces) no salt added or regular tomato sauce
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) Italian-Style diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Thinly sliced fresh basil (optional)
- Hot cooked pasta, grated Parmesan
- Heat stockpot over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef, onion and garlic; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking beef into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato paste and crushed red pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 minutes to develop flavors, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; season with salt and stir in basil, if desired.
Serve over pasta and sprinkle with cheese, if desired.
Italian-Style Beef Sausage Variation: Prepare Italian-Style Beef Sausage by combining 1 pound Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner) with 1 teaspoon fennel seed, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon coriander, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon paprika, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Proceed as directed in step 1.